Assignment 1: Cultural Values
In this module, you learned about African, Asian, Hawaiian, and Pacific Island cultures. You learned about cultural values that are prominent in these cultures and about the impact that history has had on these cultures. In addition, you reviewed the impact of historical events that contribute to oppression and discrimination of said populations.
In a minimum of 200 words, post to the Discussion Area your responses to the following:
- Identify and discuss one historical event that has contributed to the oppression and discrimination of said populations.
- Identify two of the populations’ cultural values and analyze the way they may impact the counseling dynamic.
- Identify one technique/strategy that you could use to address a concern of a client who identifies as African, Asian, Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander.
- Explain why you chose that technique/strategy.
- Use specific examples and consider the impact of intercultural differences.
- Consider the institutional and social barriers that impact this population when choosing your technique. Support your use of this technique with appropriate literature.
- Identify at least one way that counselors can advocate for the populations discussed in this module.
Support your rationale and analysis by using at least two resources from professional literature in your response. Professional literature may include the Argosy University online library resources, relevant textbooks, peer-reviewed journal articles, and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (websites ending in .edu or .gov).
Your discussion posts and all written assignments should reflect graduate-level writing skills and appropriate use of APA style, including in-text citations and references.