A Cultural Critique
To prepare for this discussion, please read Chapters 2 and 3 of your (Feenstra, 2013). In addition, read (Adams and Markus, 2001) and (Markus and Kitayama, 1991). Finally, review Instructor Guidance and Announcements. In this discussion, you will consider patterns that have shaped your sense of self. Be sure to use your own academic voice and apply in-text citations appropriately throughout your post.
- Identify some of the primary cultural influences in your life. (Note that culture can be defined broadly to include a number of dimensions.)
- Examine your sense of self.
- Would you characterize yourself as more independent or interdependent? Why? Identify specific examples that illustrate. You might find it helpful to start by considering Figure 1 and Table 1 in Markus and Kitayama (1991).
- Appraise the consequences of your self-construction.
- What are some of the implications of independence/interdependence (for cognition, emotion, motivation, etc.)?
- Analyze your responses to the Twenty Statements Test in the introduction (Post Your Introduction).
- Does your description fit with predictions of theory and research findings, as described by Markus and Kitayama (1991)?
Post your initial response of 250 words or more by Day 3 (Thursday). Respond to at least two of your peers by Day 7 (Monday). You are encouraged to post one or more of your required replies early each week (e.g., by Saturday) to stimulate more meaningful and interactive discourse in the discussion forum. In addition, strive to provide a response to classmates who replied to your initial post and/or the Instructor (if applicable). Peer responses may vary in length but should be carefully crafted and insightful. Below are some suggestions to assist your thinking.].