There is strong evidence in the research literature that a high percentage of information systems projects in organizations are deemed as partial or total failures. A completed project that does meet the planned scope, budget, completion deadline, or quality goals is typically classified as a “failure.” Chapters 3 and 4 in your course textbook address information systems project identification, planning, and management.
Drawing from the information on information systems project management presented in Chapters 3 and 4, and a minimum of four sources on this topic located through web-based research, write a research report addressing the following topics in sections labelled with Level 1, 2, and 3 headings, see sample paper (Links to an external site) for examples of APA headings.
- A concise explanation of what qualifies as a “success” in an information system project.
- A discussion of why it is so difficult to succeed in an information systems project environment. In other words, what IS project-related factors typically lead to project outcomes deemed as failures?
- An identification of, and a convincing argument for, strategies that can be used to potentially overcome the factors identified and discussed in the previous section.
- An explanation of how a project outcome that meets time, cost, and budget constraints may still be considered as a failure.
- A discussion of the potential impact of team conflict on project outcomes. What are the types, or categories, of team conflict? Identify and discuss at least three strategies for successfully resolving or minimizing team conflict occurences.
It is recommended that you start your literature search from scholar.google.com (Links to an external site.) using a variety of search string related to the topical requirements listed in the Tasks section above.
- Create your research report in APA format a Microsoft Word document with a maximum length of twelve pages, double spaced, (including the title, abstract, and reference pages) including the following components:
- A title page.
- An abstract page.
- The body of the guide, addressing the four bulleted points in the Task section in sections with headings (more than one paragraph may be used to address individual points).
- A summary/conclusion section.
- A References list on a separate page.
- Use APA format (this reference site (Links to an external site.) and this sample paper (Links to an external site.) will help you with using correct APA formatting). Make certain to absolutely avoid plagiarism in your content: submissions with a Turnitin rating exceeding 15% may require revision for credit.
- Submit the completed report in a Word document as an attachment to this assignment link.
Note: A Turnitin analysis (see http://turnitin.com/ (Links to an external site.) for information on this product) will be automatically applied to your assignment submission to indicate the potential degree of “originality,” which means that you have interpreted and are discussing your research results “in your own words” (paraphrasing, but with APA in-text source citations) or are using proper APA citation methods for exact quotations to include the words of others. A Turnitin analysis percentage of 15% or higher will result in your having to repeat this assignment with a single attempt to achieve a percentage less than 15% in order to receive any credit for it.