Assignment 1 – Using EBP to Formulate a Clinical Question
Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing and Healthcare
- Chapter 1: “Making the Case for Evidence-Based Practice and Cultivating a Spirit of Inquiry”
- Chapter 2: “Asking Compelling, Clinical Questions”
- Chapter 3: “Finding Relevant Evidence to Answer Clinical Questions”
Journal ReadingsPlease retrieve and read the following Journal articles from the Kaplan University Library. Articles can be located through a search in the CINAHL database, OVID database, Kaplan University Library (links to these are located under the Student Resources in Course Home) or by using the link at the end of the reference if provided.
Scott, K., & McSherry, R. (2009). Evidence-based nursing: Clarifying the concepts for nurses in practice. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 18(8), 1085–1095.
Melnyk, B. M., Fineout-Overholt, E., Stillwell, S. B., & Williamson, K. M. (2009). Igniting a spirit of inquiry: An essential foundation for evidence-based practice. The American Journal of Nursing, 109(11), 49–52.
This Assignment is helpful in developing the groundwork for understanding and integrating evidence-based practice in healthcare throughout the rest of the course. In this Assignment you will have the chance to see how the research you look for can be applied in the work you do in your practice.
You will select a topic relevant to your practice area, post the topic to Discussion Board 2 for feedback, research the topic, and write a scholarly paper.
From the chapter readings and discussion, formulate a 3–5 page scholarly paper in APA format, providing an overview of the terms and function of EPB. An introduction, discussion and conclusion is expected in the overview on this topic
- Formulate the question.
- Using the Cochrane database, research the question using the PICOT model and key words.
- Post your topic and a short summary of results for feedback from your instructor and peers by Day 5.
- Write a 3–5 page paper, reviewing evidence-based practice, as it relates to your practice question and integrate feedback from the instructor and/or peers.
- Include a minimum of three evidence-based references.
To view the Grading Rubric for this Assignment, please visit the Grading Rubrics section of the Course Home.
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above)
- consult the Grading Rubric (under the Course Home) to make sure you have included everything necessary;
- utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors; and
Your writing Assignment should:
- follow the conventions of Standard American English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.);
- be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful;
- display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics; and;
- use APA 6th edition format